Friday, July 31, 2015

Diamonds


I've been playing with a collection of HST that I made using scraps of my batiks fabrics.

This mini is 9 1/2" square.  I did a whole series of straight lines using my walking foot, the distance between them varies but might be described as matchstick quilting.

The finished pieces has such great texture and stability.  I just used a normal piece of batting so it is surprising how much stability it has.

I sewed around the edge of the piece before I started to stabilize and to avoid distortion that tight quilting can bring.


Haven't decided if this is for me or a gift!

I'd be happy to write this one up as a quick tutorial - please let me know if you are interested.

Happy Stitching!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Welcome!


I found a stitching pattern here on Fort Worth Studio's blog.   (Do check it out - there are lots of cute little patterns and projects.)  

I really like the texture and stability that all my straight line quilting gave to the piece.   For the binding, I cut it at a very small 1 1/2" and then sewed it on at something less than 1/4".



This finished mini is 9" by 6 1/2".

I made another one without all the quilting.


For this one, I also skipped the binding by sewing front and back right sides together almost all the way around and then turning it inside out.  I am not happy with the lack of stability and texture so will likely undo my binding-less treatment and add some straight line quilting.


This was quick and fun and I've got more of them in my future!

Which one do you like better?

Happy Stitching!

Monday, July 27, 2015

Smile!

Smile!


What a fun colorful camera!   This is supposed to go on the back of my Snapshots quilt but I like it so much, it might just sneak onto the front!

With 7 blocks done and the finishing instructions published, I decided to make progress towards the assembly step for my Snapshots quilt.  The first step was to frame all the blocks in more background and then in red.  I've not yet gotten my main fabric yet for the front so I couldn't assemble the rows.

The picture below is what the top half will look like.


I am going to do a black outline stitch around the sewing machine and the dog before quilting.  I don't think there is enough contrast as it currently stands.

These are just so much fun!  The bicycle is the block for August which should be fun.

You can find more information on the Fat Quarter Shop page.  Besides the fun of building the quilt, this is all about donating to St Jude.



I'm using a fat 8th bundle of Moda Miss Kate for the blocks.


Happy Stitching!

Friday, July 24, 2015

Farmer's Wife is done!

In July of last year, I started my Farmer's Wife quilt, making 3 paper pieced blocks most weeks.  The quilt went off the the spa in late May and I finally finished the binding last weekend.


This photo is just a teaser.

I want to do a real photo op with this one during a time when my quilt holder has more time (and patience) for the job.

I went with a red solid for the binding and really like the way it came out.

Hopefully a photo shoot this weekend and then I'll do a blog post with heavy pictures!

Until then, have a good weekend!

Happy Stitching!