Friday, February 27, 2015

Farmer's Wife Puzzle

Best puzzle ever - assembling quilt blocks!

Starting to assemble my Farmer's Wife quilt as I finish up the blocks was my ALYOF goal for February.  (My goal setting post was here.)



My blocks are red, aqua or gray so I decided on a layout with roughly 80 blocks completed and am now planning carefully to fill in the color I need.  I've already printed out the paper piece patterns for the remainder of the blocks so I was able to put them in place and record what color they need to be.



I've made good use of graph paper to keep track as well as to record what specific block is where!



I've assembled things in sections - just seaming together a couple of blocks in each row and using webbing to keep the section together.  This will make it easier to hit the 'undo' button if I find a combination I don't like in the final layout.


About half of the blocks are all assembled in these rows.

I also have each section marked with a scrap piece of fabric and the position in the grid where it will fit.   The rows are numbered, the columns are labeled.

I am so excited in how this is all coming together.  Can't believe I've about 20 blocks to go!

I'll be linking up here - 
 Another Lovely Year of Finishes 

Happy Stitching!

3 comments:

  1. This is going to be so beautiful! I love a good puzzle, but I've not dipped into the farmers wife quilt yet. Maybe someday when I've been quilting for awhile. I can't wait to see this finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your layout and all the work that's going into is quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful and the layout is looking good. Graph paper is our friend!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a stitch...