Saturday, March 21, 2015

World Down Syndrome Day

Today, March 21 is World Down Syndrome day.  There is significance to the date chosen - 21st day of the 3rd month which represents the trisomy of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.

In 2011, the UN General Assembly designated March 21 as World Down syndrome day to be observed to raise public awareness of Down syndrome. 

I am the proud mom of 3 kids and my middle child - my lovely 19 year old daughter - has Down syndrome.

She loves all things dance and music and takes both ballet and violin lessons. She is a major league fan of Celtic Woman and we have tickets for their concert 2 weeks from now (!!!!)





My daughter loves her schedule.  Each Saturday includes lunch with mom at a favorite fast food place.  Sunday's are a picnic and walk in a local park.   If it is to cold to eat outside, we eat in the car before our walk.  Friday nights find us watching a movie - usually a Celtic Woman dvd - in our bonus room and I spend the time quilting.



Today is also Worldwide Quilting Day - always the 3rd Saturday in March.   This year I get to celebrate two of my favorite things on one day!




Hope your weekend is a good one.  I know mine will be.



Love you my CW Buddy!


Happy Stitching!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful schedule of fellowship and fun! Enjoy that concert :) they always look good on tv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great schedule. We should all take the time to enjoy things like that with our kids. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww, that fantastic!! Something to look forward to and it will always be special!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a stitch...